INSTAGRAM

Flirty Thirty

It approaches. In less than two weeks, on June 9th, I will be celebrating my 30th birthday... at work. Wooh! I know, I'm a party animal! Rather than spend just the day ringing in the new decade I'm going to spend the summer kicking it off in a way I hope to be able to spend the next ten years (and the rest of my life) - with friends and family and by exploring, adventuring, traveling, and living.


This summer is bringing big, unsettled movement to my life in which I am relocating to a new town, attending University for a science degree, and transitioning into a long distance relationship with my husband (more on that later). There are a lot of scary things coming up where I will be challenged emotionally, academically, and spiritually. And the things that have challenged me most in my life are rearing their ugly little heads tenfold such as being OK with being alone, battles with love of self, confidence, and believing that I am capable of accomplishing my goals. I will be taking some of the hardest classes I have ever had to take, ones which do not come naturally to me, but rather force me to truly sit down and pay attention. Like chemistry, physics, and calculus. 

I could have taken the easy route and gotten a degree in English or Education. They would be the easy route not because the subjects are easy, but because they are something I've always been able to do - things that I'm a natural at. But I didn't. Instead I chose a path that will be difficult for me and one in which I will likely struggle with every day. It's a path that will lead me to where I want to go professionally and personally and one which will allow me to chase dreams I had long since thought I could not achieve.

I never believed I could do science. I didn't think I was smart enough. And now I'm striving to disprove these misguided assumptions and push through. I am smart enough. I just need to apply myself and focus. Studying Geology and Anthropology will help me to achieve my long term goals, allow me to work outdoors, and provide me with opportunities for travel and exploration more than any other subject ever could. That is what the next ten years have in-store for me. My degrees will lay the foundation to tackling my dreams and making my next 60 years on this Earth a wild experience!


Ever since I was a child I knew that the meaning of my life was to live it. There was never any doubt as to why I was here. But over the years I got distracted and I forgot. I got lazy and complacent and comfortable in settling into the traditions and conventions of life. I forgot who I was and how to put my needs first. With the support of my husband these last few years I've slowly begun to remember and emerge from the muck of what I view as my wasted twenties. It's time to get down to the business of living and I mean to do it! So what are the next ten years going to bring?

I'm going to become a woman of science!
I'm going to travel somewhere new every year!
I'm going to learn a language (or two)!
I'm going to master my finances!
I'm going to chase my dreams and remember why I'm running!
I'm going to learn to play at least one instrument!
I'm going to be in the healthiest shape I have ever been in!
I'm going to believe in my intelligence and abilities!
I'm going to continue to build in my strength of self!

Flirty Thirty means spending my thirties participating in the play of life. Dancing by the Rhine, discovering minerals from faraway places, loving new friends, and making life happen. So this summer I will be visiting friends and family on the west coast, traveling through at least two National Parks, camping, hiking, rafting, writing, laughing, jumping, eating, visiting the ocean, and playing my heart out. I'm going to spend the summer in a way which reflects how I plan on spending the rest of my life - living. I'm even starting a little early!

#FlirtingWithLife




What did you do to celebrate turning 30?



TourRadar